Wednesday, July 29, 2009

GMA's Last SONA

A lot of people had a fun time yesterday ridiculing GMA and her speech. Her outrageous Ursula-inspired dress, her 'unfounded' declarations, her 'outrageous' claims etc... etc...

They may be right. She may be planning to extend her term etc... etc...

But for me, I am glad that she was our president during these last years. This is my personal sentiment.

I have no charts, no studies, no surveys to validate this save my personal experience of how I and the people around me lived during her administration in comparison to the life before her.

She fixed the HUGE mess Erap made when he was in office. In all levels of the bureaucrasy (yes it is still corrupt), I've noticed the way things stepped up and got organized.

We remained relatively stable despite the world wide snafu.

I've noticed how easy it is for OFWs and Balikbayans to transact business here and send money.

I've noticed the way the traffic has flowed better (yes it is still agravating) when MMDA Chairman Bayani made all the necessary changes.

I've noticed how the roads have been cleared of illegal sidewalk vendors and how the illegal squatters in Metro Manila has been addressed.

I've noticed how the port, airport & road infrastructures have improved around the country.

I've noticed how she seems to be everywhere everyday in this country abroad. How she has the reputation for being efficient and on time.

She is not perfect. But I am happy with her.

However, no matter how satisfied I am with her, I do not want her to stay beyond 2010. Even if we get a lame president after her, I prefer this rather than render our democratic process futile.

No comments:

Post a Comment